In November 2020, our Board of Directors voted in favor of a new mission, anchored by a guiding set of values that will influence our forthcoming programming and priorities
As the only statewide organization dedicated to preserving and sharing North Carolina’s Jewish history and culture, Jewish Heritage North Carolina connects communities and educates diverse and multigenerational audiences.
- Education: We believe that education about Jewish life across the state promotes understanding by sharing our commonalities and respecting our differences. We welcome opportunities to teach and to learn from others within and outside the Jewish community.
- Authenticity: We embrace and thoughtfully examine our region’s diverse Jewish stories in all of their complexity and character.
- Intersectionality: We explore the unique intersections of Jewish American life in North Carolina, while also recognizing that the Jewish story is just one lens through which the broader story of our state, nation, and world may be explored.
- Grit: North Carolina’s generations of Jews have built lives and homes here, overcoming obstacles and inspiring today’s thriving communities.
- Equity and Acceptance: As a people who have faced persecution and discrimination, we denounce racism, antisemitism, xenophobia, homophobia, and hatred in all of its forms, and commit to uplifting and supporting marginalized voices, including within and beyond our own Jewish community.